As a former professional carpenter, I like new exciting things. My favorite new thing is definitely barn doors. So when it comes to barn door hardware kits, it's crucial for me to get the best barn door hardware kit for my money.
Barn doors are getting very popular, so when it comes to barn door hardware kits they can vary quite a bit from one company to the next. Some are fantastic. Others are great. But some are bad.
If you're looking for barn door kit reviews, keep reading. I'll cover the best barn door kits in my view today.
1. SMARTSTANDARD 6.6ft Heavy Duty Sturdy Sliding Barn Door Hardware Kit -Smoothly and Quietly -Easy to install -Includes Step-By-Step Installation Instruction Fit 36"-40" Wide Door Panel
- Durable, high-quality hinges
- Heavy-duty track
- Strong wooden brackets
- Sturdy sliding rollers
- Includes step-by-step installation instructions
- Tend to take up a lot of space
- Tricky to install
Barn door hardware kits are a remarkable way to add versatility, functionality, and design to your home. These kits are great if you are looking to add a touch of rustic charm to your doors. This kit gives you the option of installing wooden or plastic panels and comes with all the hardware required to hang them.
This barn door hardware kit works with any door that is between 36 and 40 inches wide and allows for a weight capacity of up to 250 pounds. The track is very sturdy and made of high-quality steel. Two durable wooden brackets come with it to hold up the weight and avoid any damage to the wall or the door.
This barn door hardware kit allows you to install barn doors without making a single hole in your door or wall. The kit also comes with step-by-step instructions that will help you in installing the hardware kit.
2. TMS WoodenSlidingDoor-Hardware Modern Interior Sliding Barn Wooden Door Hardware Track Set
- Includes an extra-long wheel package
- Can accommodate doors up to 7.5 feet in length
- Easy to operate and install
- Heavy duty yet lightweight compact design
- Recessed-track option features a hinged cover
- Door pack includes matching drawer slides
- Quick shipping, ships directly from the manufacturer
- Classic design that compliments any home
- 5-year warranty
- Made of sturdy stainless steel
- This door hardware is only available in one color scheme: dark wood with brushed nickel fittings
- The price point is slightly higher than some other brands
3. SmartStandard 8ft Heavy Duty Sliding Barn Door Hardware Kit
- Overall good design
- Affordable price point
- Multiple door sizes available
- Easy to install
- Includes a variety of hardware
- Baffle plates are not labeled
- Track is not included
SmartStandard has offered some really good barn door hardware kits. If you are looking for one, this is a good place to start.
This kit is great for people that want to save time in their installation process. It is one of the easiest kits to install, and it can work on many different sized doors.
The SmartStandard has a classic design pattern. Unfortunately, the holes on the panels are not labeled. For many people, this means they have to measure the diameter of the hole in order to find out which hardware to use. The pieces included in the box are also not labeled, so you will need to know what they are before you begin to install the equipment. The size of the bubble plates can limit the size of the door that they will work on. A wider door cannot be installed on a smaller hardware kit.
4. INDUSTRIAL BY DESIGN
- Rust-free aluminum construction
- No expensive tools needed for installation
- Easy to assemble with detailed and easy-to-understand DIY instructions
- No clicking or rattling noise when sliding
- Gives a professional and sleek look to any entryway or room
- 10-year complete warranty
- Unlimited lifetime technical support
- Made in USA
- Mounting plate bolts can be a bit fiddly during installation
- The rollers don’t glide effortlessly for some people
- Price may be considered as high for some
A barn door kit brings a distinctive and unique look to any room in your home that you install it in. Finding the best barn door hardware kit is important, and you may find the search a bit of a challenge. That’s why we’ve created this detailed guide with all the information you need to make an informed decision before purchasing one.
The barn door hardware kit we’ve chosen to highlight is the “Industrial by Design” kit. It’s not the least expensive option out there, but it offers great quality, amazing durability, and a super-easy installation process.
5. SmartStandard 36in x 84in Sliding Barn Wood Door Pre-Drilled Ready to Assemble
- Perfect for smaller situations
- Comes with installation instructions
- Great shipping options
- Low price
- Very sturdy, won't be blown about
- Can be difficult to put a handle on
- Can't drill holes in sections
- Making it ready for use is dependent upon you
- Picture is misleading
This barn door kit from SmartStandard is among the best barn door kits around. The specs are 36" wide and 84" tall (with a 4" gap between), with "natural" finish and comes preassembled, ready to hang. This barn door is recommended for narrow spaces, like within an entryway or behind a sofa.
The clear-lacquered finish looks good behind a sofa, fireplace, or other piece of furniture that will block the view from the other side of the door. The sliding door hardware is attached to the door on the bottom end, so a floor brace is not required and the weight is less. Available in a natural finish, this set leads the way in affordable home decor.
Installing this barn door is simple, natural, and easy to install. All you need is a drill and a saw. Make sure you have all the tools and know-how to complete the installation before you purchase this door.
6. SMARTSTANDARD 12 Inch Sliding Barn Door Handle
- Comes with four knobs and a handle
- DIY install is a huge plus
- Easy to follow instructions
- Powder coated finish
- Handles have good grip and solid feel
- Wall anchors are not necessary, but they would be helpful
- Setting up the handle isn’t as easy
- Not for use with glass doors
Easy DIY Installation, Includes All Necessary Hardware For Installation.
You’ll be surprised at how easy it is to install a sliding barn door using SMARTSTANDARD’s hardware kit. This kit includes everything you need to complete your project. The knobs have a stylish rustic style that will help make your sliding barn door stand out.
Once you get the hang of it (it may take some trial and error), installing your set of barn door hardware is easy. You’ll need a drill, a screw driver, and a level to get the job done, and you’ll need to have a clear idea of where you’ll place your hardware. The process is fairly straightforward, but it’s easier to use wall anchors instead of the included screws to install your hardware.
7. Homlux 5ft Heavy Duty Sturdy Sliding Barn Door Hardware Kit Single Door
- Easy to install
- Widely compatible with various doors – both thick and thin
- Smooth and quiet operation
- 15-year warranty
- Operates just fine at the length advertised, but the length is barely enough to fit a standard width entry door
- Should process your order quickly if you have any complaints, as the customer service is a big disappointment
- Expensive shipping costs due to breakables
Although our top pick in the category of the best barn door hardware products is a little expensive, the Homlux 5ft Heavy Duty Sliding Barn Door Hardware Kit has really managed to stand out from the pack with a whopping 90 percent of its reviewers giving it 5 stars.
Our reason for picking this barn door hardware kit for our best barn door hardware products is based on the affordable price-to-quality ratio. The quality of the hardware and hangers is top-notch and can easily blend into any kind of decor.
This is the best option if you’re looking for a long-lasting, strong, and durable barn door hardware system. Despite its affordability, it’s worth every dollar, especially considering the free 15-year warranty on the product.
8. TCBunny 6.6 Feet Sliding Barn Door Hardware Kit Superior Quality Track Kit Antique Style
- Easy to understand installation instruction
- Very sturdy and rust free
- Quality tracks that are effortless to slide
- Includes hanging hardware for a tension-free door
If you’re looking for some of the best backyard barn door hardware kits, we suggest that you take a look at the TCBunny 6.6 feet sliding barn door hardware kit.
The tracks on this particular kit are made out of high quality, rust proof, and resistant zinc, so you can expect them to stay beautiful and functional for a long time. TCBunny also offers a variety of hardware kits with different colors and materials to match your needs.
The doors glide very smoothly across the track, and they open and close at the touch of a finger. Each hardware kit comes with hanging hardware so that you don’t have to attach anything to the door. Just slide it in place and you’re good to go!
9. U-MAX 6.6 FT Sliding Barn Wood Door Basic Sliding Track Hardware Kit
- Made to a non-rust aluminum
- The track can be fitted to any wooden surface
- It works with hardwood, plywood, softwood, and metal without drilling
- No need to put a hole in the door
- Creates a gap-free door
- The pressure rating is 364 pounds
- Includes metal screws and all the necessary hardware you need
- It helps you transition from sliding double doors into wagon-style doors
- Adjustable clips to fit 1/4” to 3/8” thick
- Can be adjusted when installed
- Required threshold, which is not included in the package
- Rail sold separately
This is one of the top-rated barn door hardware on the market today and is certified for high use. It's a bargain deal that allows for a 1/4” to 3/8” adjustment, so you can get it to fit the width of your door.
10. WINSOON 5-16FT Single Wood Sliding Barn Door Hardware Basic Black Big Spoke Wheel Roller Kit Garage Closet Carbon Steel Flat Track System
- Performs well
- Quiet due to the ball bearings
- Easy to install for DIY-ers
- Comes with all the necessary hardware
- 2-year warranty
- Doesn’t come with a track
- Small wheels
- 1/4” drop rail is only 25-1/4” long
- Warranty doesn’t cover accidents
The Winsoon 5-16 foot single wood sliding barn door hardware kit comes with a flat track system and other items you need to install a barn door, like just the door or overhead track. These high-quality wood barn doors are great because (like any wood product) they can be made to custom sizes. Plus you can paint them to match your decor.
They’re also great for renters or anyone living in an apartment. And if you’re not handy, have no fear – Winsoon has great instructional videos.
You can also customize the look of the doors by painting them with latex or oil-based paints. You can do some light sanding with 220-grit sandpaper, but take care to not sand too much or too hard.
11. Genius Iron 6.6FT Single Barn Door Hardware
- Real value for money
- High-quality pieces
- Premium hardware for smooth sliding
- Lots of assembly required
- Manual and instructions manual are hard to understand
Bracket, Adjustable Width, 24lbs Weight Capacity.
This Barn Door Hardware Kit is a great option to add to your list of best barn door hardware. It’s budget-friendly, and it looks great installed. In fact, it looks very close to the high-end barn door hardware kits. The door is perfect for a variety of applications, from bedroom to office.
This barn door kit is easy to install without needing any special tools. It’s just a matter of screwing in the brackets into the wall or ceiling. If you need to align a door that’s perfectly square, then that’s relatively easy, too. However, it could take a bit of patience to figure out the instructions. The good news is that it’s a sturdy door that operates smoothly with zero squeaking. Plus, it’s available at an affordable price.
12. TMS TSQ08-Dark Modern American Style Barn Wood Sliding Door Hardware Closet Set
- Well made
- Great Features
- Great design
- Easy to install
- Unique look
- Has a lacquer finish
- Can be difficult to reverse latch
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best barn door hardware?
We have researched and reviewed the best door hardware sets the market has to offer. From sliding barn doors to those with fancy hardware, these barn door hardware kits are simply the best on the market.
Some of these kits are for building your own barn door from scratch and others are for upgrading your current system.
It is very important to make sure you have the right hardware kit for your barn door. You want one that is easy to install and very durable. One that will last many years with very little maintenance. The kits we have searched and reviewed were the top 10 in the market today.
And they are all very easy to install. So let's get started!
How thick should a barn door header be?
You want your header to be at least 1 1/4 inches (3 1/2 cm) and 1 1/2 inches (3.8 cm) is even better. A flimsy header might rip or tear after a few uses, and that is not something you want.
How do I choose a barn door?
One thing to pay attention to is the strut size. The three main sizes of barn door struts are as follows:
- 3/4in thick.
- 1 1/4in thick.
- 1 1/2in thick.
All strut sizes have their advantages and disadvantages. For example, smaller ones can get into tighter spaces while larger ones can hold very heavy objects. However, the most common sizes are the 1 1/2in and 1 1/4in thick barn doors.
Once you've decided on the strut size you need, the most important step is to ensure the components are securely fastened to your door. Often times people end up with a great looking barn door that's dangerously loose.
The screws that you use can make a big difference your barn door's safety. Don't be deceived by super cheap wood screws; they're easy to break and they strip fast without a pilot hole.
How do I keep my barn door from jumping off the track?
First, you will want to measure your jamb to ensure that your barn door has the clearance needed to open and close comfortably. Next, check the tension on your springs. Are they loose or tight? Generally, you don't want overly tight springs because that could cause your barn door to jump off its track. So make sure it's not too tight. Then check your mounting hardware. If the screws are too long, that's a good start. But, you should use a little oil on all of the hardware so it moves smoothly, and extra-long screws will eventually cause the pieces that they are holding together to strip out.
The big advantage that barn doors have over traditional dividers is just that: they slide! And once they’re up, they are completely out of the way. With traditional drapery hardware you get the gaps between panels, then you get your rod to fit behind those panels and then you get to fight with how to keep the drapery hanging evenly from the rod, especially on pull-back hardware systems.