There are many useful tools that can help the mechanic and craftsman do their job. The engineer, machinist, and even jewelry maker needs tools that provide an accurate reading to low degrees when measuring shim stock, making a custom piece, working with exotic materials for planets, satellites, and spacecraft. This article looks at 10 of the best digital calipers available on Amazon in 2018. All of these digital calipers are top rated, affordable, and one of the best in their class. We have reviewed them to give you the best information on the web.
1. Digital Caliper
- Large LCD display – easy to read
- Precision measurements – .0005 inches/0.01mm
- Comes with a leather carrying case
- Great customer service
- Only one unit of measurement
- Complaints of the plastic case arriving damaged and/or broken
EAGems Digital Calipers are a good option if you’re looking for a pocket-sized vernier caliper that can measure up to 150mm. These digital calipers from EAGems feature an adjustable vernier 0.0005 inches that offers the accuracy you need to create precise cuts or to measure small details.
Another reason we recommend these calipers is due to their durability. They’re made from stainless steel and are entirely waterproof, so you can use them in wet concrete and other dirty environments without any trouble. There are a few downsides though, like the fact you can only use one unit of measurement with EAGems Digital Calipers (mm, CM, or inches).
2. Mitutoyo 500-196-30 Advanced Onsite Sensor
- Accurate and fast measurements
- Large LCD display
- No need to swap batteries
- Wide measuring range
- Perhaps not the most durable
- Accuracy might be affected if the display is scratched
Display, Electronic Length Measuring System, Single Battery, Fast, Free Shipping.
The Advanced Onsite Sensor (AOS) Absolute Scale Digital Caliper from Mitutoyo offers high accuracy and durability, which is why it earned a place on our top pick category.
The unit has a 0 to 150mm measuring range, and it can measure down to 0.0005"/0.01mm resolution. And in case you need to recalibrate for some reason, Mitutoyo offers a handy little feature they call the self-locking pedestal. Basically, it’s a mechanical feature that locks the tool at its optimal position when the main locking mechanism is deployed.
3. iGaging ABSOLUTE ORIGIN 0-12" Digital Electronic Caliper
- Feature a lightweight ABS plastic frame
- Accurate … to 3 significant figures
- Backlighted buttons for easier viewing in the dark
- Zero-tracking feature
- Equipped with a large LCD display, allowing you to easily read measurements
- Comes with 3 AAA batteries
- Can measure inside or outside diameters
- 3 ABS plastic section jaws measure from 0mm to 12mm and include 0.05mm accuracy
- Sturdy ABS plastic frame with grip sections
- Extensive warranty, covering all parts and labor and backed up by an excellent customer support.
4. MOOCK Digital Caliper
And Back light for Carpentry Woodworking and Other Projects, 71mm Max.
Unlike most digital calipers, the MOOCK Digital Caliper has a stainless steel body, which makes it more durable and less prone to rusting. It measures up to 150mm with a high degree of accuracy of 0.01mm. It has a backlight feature and a built-in battery that can be charged using any USB port or adapter.
The screen is bright and easy to read. It can convert between millimeters and inches and can also keep track of the results. The MOOCK Digital Caliper works very well in the dark thanks to the backlit display. It’ll increase your accuracy without having to squint to read the screen and the numbers.
5. VINCA DCLA-0605 Quality Electronic Digital Vernier Caliper Inch/Metric/Fractions Conversion 0-6 Inch/150 mm Stainless Steel Body Red/Black Extra Large LCD Screen Auto Off Featured Measuring Tool
- Easy-to-read large LCD
- Metal measuring jaws
- Precise for professional applications
- Extra large display
- Durable stainless steel body
- Zero function
- No depth measuring
- Larger and heavier than traditional calipers
- No jaw opening gauge features
If you’re looking for the best calipers on the market, you won’t find many better options than the VINCA DCLA-0605 Quality Electronic Digital Vernier Calipers.
These calipers feature a tough stainless steel body, a large and easy-to-read digital display, and 0.01mm graduations for ultra-precise measurement. This is an advanced caliper for professional applications. The measurement components of this caliper are all made from stainless steel, improving durability and accuracy.
We like the fact that this caliper has a large LCD display with a wide viewing angle for easy viewing. Viewing the display is especially easy in low light conditions, thanks to the backlit display.
6. Neiko 01407A Electronic Digital Caliper Stainless Steel Body
- Large LCD screen for easy reading
- Measures in both inches/fractional/millimeters
- Stainless steel body for durability
- Ten memories with recall feature
- 33 memories with date and time stamp
- Includes two AAA batteries
- Relatively low-priced
Digital calipers are a must-have for any woodshop, especially professional shops. Digital calipers allow woodworkers to easily take precise measurements of wood pieces in a variety of applications, including tool making, jig-making, and accessory-building.
This digital caliper from Neiko is a fairly standard model that has a simple design. It comes with a large LCD screen that displays readings in inches, millimeters, and fractions. It has measurements from 0 to 6 inches, with a precision of 0.01 inches. This digital caliper’s body is made from stainless steel for durability, and it comes with ten memories with a recall feature and 33 memories with a date and time stamp. It also comes with two AAA batteries.
The Neiko digital caliper is an excellent choice for any woodworker who wants a good quality digital caliper at a low-price. Plus, the soft grip on the sides of the handle makes it comfortable to hold and gives you extra control.
7. Clockwise Tools DCLR-1205 Electronic Digital Caliper Inch/Metric/Fractions Conversion IP54 Protection 0-12 Inch/300mm Stainless Steel Body Super Large LCD Screen Auto Off Measuring Tool
- Very accurate
- Small and easy to handle
- Quality is good for the price
- There are some reported cases of units malfunctioning
- The zero button is hard to find at times
For Woodworking, Jewelry Making, Ceramic, Glass, Electronic, Plastic, House Wiring, Automotive Mechanical, Agriculture, Blacksmith, Engineering, Fabrication.
The Clockwise tools DCLR-1205 Electronic digital caliper is a remarkably high quality item measuring in at 0-12 in. and comes with a 300mm measuring arm. It is made with heavy duty stainless steel and has measurements in inches, centimeters, and decimal fractions of an inch. It is also dustproof and waterproof along with a built-in light to facilitate reading in darkened spaces. It also has an auto shutoff that can be set to either 15 or 30 minutes.
Overall, the caliper has many functions and features that make it very useful for a variety of uses in both hobby and professional applications. It is also extremely accurate and is able to display measurements in both metric and standard units. While the form is user-friendly, some users report that the zero button is hard to find, and the instruction manual is not very detailed. However, it’s a great value for the price and an excellent option for hobbyists.
8. iGaging IP54 Electronic Digital Caliper 0-6" Display Inch/Metric/Fractions Stainless Steel Body
- Comes with an extended backlit LCD display
- Large 6" inch numbers
- Backlit for viewing clarity in dim-light
- Includes a 6" inch stainless steel body
- Compact size measuring at 4.4" inches
- Easy to accomplish measurements on different corners
- Auto shut off to preserve battery life
- Outer protective sleeve for additional protection
- A handy ratcheting locking mechanism to ensure accuracy
- A 3-year warranty against defects in manufacturing
- Some users mentioned the need to zero the instrument from time to time
- The protective outer sleeve is a bit loose
- The automatic shut down function could be greatly improved by automatically showing the last measurement
Highly rated, the iGaging IP54 Electronic Digital Caliper is our top pick for the best digital calipers. The iGaging IP54 Electronic Digital Caliper has all the necessary features you should look for in a digital caliper: large buttons, large LCD display, a sturdy body and a backlit display for ease of use.
This electronic window display features a range of inches, centimeters and 32nds. This tool is perfect for measuring out all types of materials like wood, steel, plastic and aluminum.
9. Digital Caliper
- Is an extremely affordable option
- Lightweight and compact design
- Easily converts between measurements
- Easy to use and understand
- Rubber grip to prevent slippage
- Operating instructions and demo videos available online
- The manual it comes with is quite basic
- Measurements might not be as accurate as they should be
When it comes to searching for the best cheap calipers, one of the greatest options to consider is this exceptional option from Adoric. This electronic caliper is an extremely affordable option that can measure through 0-6 inches in no time.
The unit is stainless steel, so it will last for a long time, and features a dual unit conversion scale. This means you can measure in metric or English, prolonging the lifetime of the unit.
The measurements are displayed on a big, easy-to-read LCD display with numbers and a backlight so you can see your measurement even in dim lighting. It has a handy button that converts the unit and has a rubber grip to prevent the unit from slipping. The Adoric caliper also comes with a detailed manual and online demo videos to help you get started.
10. MeasuGator Silverine Digital Caliper
- Built in tape measure
- Minimized detachable head
- Tempered glass panel
- Display font style
- Outstanding service and support
- No color
- Not for left-hand users
Those who have never measured anything but are curious to purchase a professional caliper should consider the Silverine Digital Caliper from MeasuGator. I will say that this is one of their best products on the market and is a great choice for many reasons, and we will explain those in detail below.
Let’s start off by saying that the product basically has everything I look for when buying a digital caliper for my own use, such as a wide range, an auto power off function, and high accuracy. Additionally, the product includes a spare battery and 2 “feeler” gauges.
The feeler gauge is for accurate measurement of a sheet, slot and hole gauges, etc. And then there is the tape measure, as you should be using at least a 6 “ or more precise tool.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best digital vernier caliper?
How did we make our caliper comparisons? In order to find the most accurate and precise digital calipers available, we measured them side-by-side using a very precise master 10.0 caliper.
We tested precision utilizing two hardened steel digital reference gauges.
We then tested the vernier resolution from ½ to 9 inches.
We then measured standard calipers using the standard industry-standard method. We tested the vernier and depth measurement accuracy of the calipers.
Are digital calipers accurate?
Most digital calipers are equipped with an auto-zeroing feature which automatically re-sets the caliper after each measurement. If the base material is particularly thick, you might need to turn the dial to re-set the caliper. Otherwise, the joint action of the caliper jaws is able to re-set the calipers automatically most of the time. This feature goes a long way in increasing the accuracy of the caliper.
Alternately, the degree of accuracy you get out of your digital caliper comes courtesy of two things; the sensors and the software. Sensor accuracy is difficult to evaluate because it varies by design. However, the sensor accuracy of most digital calipers is around 10ths of a millimeter.
Are dial calipers more accurate than digital?
Dial calipers may be more accurate than digital, but you will have a much easier time using a digital caliper. They are faster to read, easier to use, and there are virtually no mistakes. Plus, you will have an exact measurement as opposed to one thatʼs +/- a tenth of an inch.
Digital calipers are also much easier to store and take up less space. If you are looking for something portable you don’t have to worry about dial calipers, but you have to worry about digital calipers that are usually small.
What are digital calipers used for?
Calipers, like a tape measure, give an accurate measurement of how wide or deep something is. There are a wide variety of reasons why someone would use a caliper, from fitting windows into frames to inspecting the outer casing of an electronic for being cracked and aging.
Calipers are particularly useful for measuring things that are small and easy to loose. For example, measuring the width of something thin like a circuit board.
As for calibrating, calipers are used to measure internal space of certain mechanical parts. Calipers are used in general for measuring, and a set of calipers is a handy thing to have around in the modern world, though it may be more common to refer to them as digital calipers.
A caliper is a measuring tool or instrument that allows you to take accurate measurements using a serrated jaws. They come in different sizes depending on their purpose, but they all have a similar look to them. Some of the factors to consider when choosing the best digital calipers for your needs are durability, accuracy, and ease of use.