For many people, a standard pencil is a more preferable writing option than a pen, and mechanical pencils are a popular choice. Mechanical pencils are made of three basic parts: the lead supply, the push or clutch mechanism, and the lead support.
The lead supplier is often made from either wood, plastic, or metal and is firmly attached to the pencil body, delivering more pencil lead to the tip of the pencil.
The push mechanism is a secondary part of the mechanical pencil that controls the flow of lead and also helps keep the lead from breaking.
The pencil lead support holds the lead in line with the tip of the pencil and helps to keep it from breaking.
Overall, mechanical pencils are extremely light and easy to use than standard pencils. They also have very few moving parts and lifespan is the same as a conventional pencil.
Check out the 10 best mechanical pencils for writing and drawing in 2022, below!
|rOtring Rapid PRO Mechanical Pencil||Best Overall|
|Pentel GraphGear 500 Automatic Drafting Pencil||Budget Pick|
|Lamy 7mm 2000 Mechanical Pencil||Upgrade Pick|
1. rOtring Rapid PRO Mechanical Pencil
- Made from solid brass in Germany
- Very comfortable to hold
- Small and lightweight
- Great lead quality
- Lifetime mechanical pencil warranty
- Classic matte finish
- Available in multiple colors
- 3-year mechanical pencil warranty
2. Uni Core Keeps Sharp Mechanical Pencil
- Non-refillable lead prevents lead from breaking during use
- Barrel made from metal, not plastic
- Refillable with .07mm leads
- Available in five different colors
- Perfect for detailed work
- Expensive, but worth it for enthusiasts
- Packaging may be a little too large
- Costs about four times more than top-selling integrated lead pencils
We’re not sure why mechanical pencils aren’t more popular, but the times are changing. We’ve decided to honor the best mechanical pencils on the market today. The Uni USOS Mechanical Pencil is an entry-level pencil that has some amazing features.
It’s a good option for those who prefer to do their writing with a pencil and a sheet of paper instead of a digital note-taking tool. The Uni USOS Mechanical Pencil comes in a pack of three, and each pencil comes with a 3mm refillable lead.
These pencils are made from metal, which is a lot sturdier than plastic. There are five color options to choose from, but we’ve picked Gun Metallic for its durability and design.
3. Pentel GraphGear 500 Automatic Drafting Pencil
- Self-sharpening and anti-roll barrel design
- Good grip … easy to hold
- Perfect for drawing, writing, and drafting applications
- Available in multiple colors
- Includes a free sharpener
- Allows you to produce a variety of different line weights
- Lasts a long time
- Good value for the money spent
- Relatively affordable
- Convenient size and shape
- No eraser
- No clip to attach the pencil to your pocket
- The pencil might be too soft for some people
4. Zebra M-701 Mechanical Pencil
- Well-balanced weight for comfortable writing
- Clear and bold line formation
- Mechanical pencil with automatic lead advance
- Reliable and convenient for everyday writing
The Zebra M-701 is a great looking mechanical pencil with comfortable weight and a clear smooth line formation. It is also a high quality pencil that offers automatic feed of lead that will consistently provide you with a clear 0.7mm line. It’s the perfect pencil for everyday writing and is reliably consistent. However, some people aren’t fans of the lead advance mechanism because it makes it difficult to see where the tip is at, or to adjust the amount of lead exposed before writing. This Zebra pencil works best for you if you prefer mechanical pencils and can deal with frequent sharpening.
5. Pentel Graph Gear 1000 Pen
- Slim design that suits adult hands
- Available in different colors
- Anti-roll design
- Hard-core grip for a steady and comfortable hold
- One retractable pencil in every pack
- Excellent value for money
It is the top pencil, which is certainly a unit of its own that offers a lot in writing. It is exclusively designed for people who remember the joy of writing with a pencil, and have missed the perfections that come with it.
With the compact design, the pencil is perfect for sharing with friends and classmates. The pencil also comes with a thicker grip.
The pencil will also save you time and money as it comes with one pencil. It is also durable and is also a great value for money. With the lead size of 0.5mm, you won’t have any problem in writing for a long time.
6. Pentel Mechanical Pencil
- Relatively cheap
- Good to write with
- Great lead resistance
- Easy to refill lead
- Wide lead tip for larger writing areas
- Available in 12 colors
- Comes with pouch
- Lead can fall out if pencil tip is shaken
- Some models have loose parts
- Lead is not available every model
The Pentel Kerry is a well-priced mechanical pencil that offers the best bang for your buck. It’s relatively cheap, and performs better than similarly priced models from competitors.
The Pentel Kerry is available in 12 color combinations, and features a semi-hexagonal barrel design for ease of gripping. It also has a extra-large lead tip so you can write on a relatively large area in one stroke. The large lead tip is a departure from the classic round tip, which allows you to write in some really cool curvy styles.
We also really love that the Pentel Kerry comes with a wide range of refill (0.5mm and 0.7mm) options to fit your writing needs. Some competitors don’t offer refills at all, and others only include 0.7mm options.
7. Pentel Sharp Kerry Automatic Pencil
- Great value for money
- Professional-grade construction
- Pencil has a comfortable grip
- Writes smoothly for both left and right-handed users
- Compact and easy to carry
The Pentel Sharp Kerry Automatic pencil is a pencil that’s given a professional grade construction with the use of metal and weight. It’s small and compact enough to carry around in your pocket whenever you need it. With a pencil tip that’s the standard HB size, it’s easy for left-handed or right-handed users to write and draw without needing to sharpen it constantly. It’s a perfect candidate for students or for professionals who are always using a lot of paper.
Aside from being a great pencil that’s easy to carry around, it’s also made from strong metal that ensures it will last long and remain intact for your everyday use.
8. Lamy 7mm 2000 Mechanical Pencil
- Slim and lightweight design
- Comfortable soft grip
- Durable and rugged with great aesthetics
- Easy to use
The Lamy 7mm 2000 Mechanical Pencil offers a great performance, with amazing control and accuracy. It’s sturdy, well-constructed, and feels great in your hand.
This pencil includes a sturdy rear clip that holds the lead tightly in place without causing damage to the wood while retracting. You also get a good grip on the pencil due to the soft grip on the pencil’s sleeve. The soft grip itself doesn’t wear off easily over time. The small design also makes it portable and easy to store. The Lamy pencil also features a two-tone design with a brushed stainless steel clip, clip ring, and grip ring.
9. Mechanical Pencils
- Bright colors available
- Reasonably priced
- Wax-based lead, which maintains its point well.
- Won’t leak or bleed through paper
- Smooth writing and no scratching
- High quality, strong eraser
- Works great for drawing and writing
- Functions as a regular pencil
- 0.7 mm lead is good for writing
- 0.5 mm lead would be good for drawing
- Cannot be used on a computer because the tip is too thick.
- Cannot be sharpened with a pencil sharpener, you might tear through the sleeve on the outside of the pencil.
- Lead is softer than other mechanical pencils, and does not hold up well if you press down hard while writing.
- Pencils can get very hot on the inside when used for an extended period of time.
- Does not have a rubber inside piece to prevent eraser from coming up while removing the cap.
110 mm/5.5 Inch and 150 mm/6.0 Inch