As a writer and a frequent traveler, I can honestly say that a standing desk is one of the best ways for you to control your health and improve your working conditions.
There is a ton of standing desk converters on the market that will suit various needs and budgets. While their particular purposes might differ (and while they can work for different weight limits), they are all designed to offer you a standing and at times treadmill desk experience without breaking the bank.
After I have done some extensive research for my own home, I decided to create the ultimate list of the 10 best standing desk converters.
Now, if you are asking yourself why you should buy a standing desk conversion kit first, give this article by The Guardian a try. It might help you change your viewpoint about going for the latter!
1. Topo Comfort Mat by Ergodriven
- Highly comfortable and shock absorbent
- Helps improve circulation and posture
- Ozone friendly
- Easily cleaned with dish soap and water
- Variety of color combinations available
- Easy to attach
- Adult and children friendly
- Available only in Black
- Does not support heavier individuals or extend to a great height
A standing desk converter is a solid purchase for those looking to increase their exercise and have a bit of fun at the same time. Ergodriven’s Topo Comfort Mat is our top choice for a standing desk converter thanks to its exemplary construction and design. The mat features a fun and unique topography that encourages users to walk more. It is a huge hit with kids and even helps seniors and others without necessarily requiring a standing desk or computer.
The Topo mat is a huge hit with both kids and adults alike. It features a unique topography that encourages users to take frequent “exercise breaks” by standing and walking around. It is a huge hit with kids and even helps seniors and others without necessarily requiring a standing desk or computer. Adults love the Topo for its plush feel and subtle ergonomic support. The Topo also offers a better alternative for high activity centers like low-impact classrooms, offices, medical clinics, and even standing desks.
2. Stand Steady X-Elite Pro Standing Desk Converter
- Easily adjustable
- Good warranty
- May arrive defective
If you’re in the market for a standing desk converter, we’ve found that the Stand Steady X-Elite Pro Standing Desk Converter is the way to go. The main advantage we’ve found with this product is its easy adjustability, which is why we’ve included it on our list of the best standing desk converters. You can easily change the height depending on your needs, and you can also adjust the tilt angle up to 15 degrees for the standing desk to suit your posture while working. No need to lift the heavy up and down any more.
It’s easy to assemble, and it comes with a 15-year warranty to ensure that it will last for a long time. If you’re looking for a simple solution that is affordable and guaranteed to last, this is the way to go.
3. VIVO Height Adjustable Standing Desk Sit to Stand Gas Spring Riser Converter
- Riser fits most standard-sized tables
- Caster wheels for easy mobility
- Cable management
- Non-slip surface
- Metal frame with a 3-year warranty
- Optional upgrades like laptop tray and LCD monitor mount
- Can support up to 250 pounds
- Expensive compared to other standing desks
- Quite awkward to set up
- Smaller tabletop size
- Can be flimsy when adjusting from a sitting to standing position
A good standing desk is one which can be easily adjusted from sitting to standing or vice versa. Such desks are generally tall enough to accommodate a dual monitor setup and height adjustable so the user can physically alter the desk to fit their height.
Now, for a good standing desk, you want to find one that allows you to work comfortably and naturally. Our top pick for best standing desk convertor is the VIVO Height Adjustable Standing Desk Sit to Stand Gas Spring Riser Converter.
This amazing system is height adjustable and provides an adjustable height range of 24.25 inches to 52.25 inches (62.7 cm to 132.4 cm). It is also made of metal tubing which is strong and can support loads up to 250 pounds.
4. FlexiSpot Height Adjustable Standing Desk Converter 47 Inch Stand Up Desk Riser
- Adjustable to accommodate 30-71 inches
- The range of heights offers a lot of variation
- The assembly process is easy, and it can be completed within 30 minutes
- The lift motor is really powerful
- Standing desk converters
- It is expensive
- The desk shelf has a tendency to sag, and the desktop tends to wobble at times
- No keyboard tray or grommet hook
The FlexiSpot provides a fantastic build quality with an aluminum column structure, so you know it’s built to last. The desk is also sturdy and comes with a limited warranty from the manufacturer.
There’s pretty much no assembly required, so if you’re an impatient individual, you’re sure to appreciate that. The whole process takes just over 30 minutes to complete. The tabletop of the desk is only supported at the four corners, and the middle is unsupported and hollow.
There’s a 3-position touchscreen monitor mount to hold the monitor at the preferred viewing angle. It can accommodate a wide range of monitors, up to 19 inches in size. In addition, the keyboard tray is about 1.5 inches in height, which is perfect if you have children using the desk.
5. Standing Desk
- Sleek and non-bulky
- Good value for the price
- Small footprint
- Large upper platform (can hold a 17” laptop)
- Sturdy build quality
- Fits on most surfaces – desks, tables, etc.
- You might need to spend some money to secure some side clamps to keep it in place
- Dual monitor setup is not ideal for those using large monitors
- Not ideal for people with back issues
Display Monitor Stand for Laptop Tablet Desktop Computer PC 19.7”x19.7”x17.7”
The FEZIBO adjustable standing desk converter is a premium standing desk riser that’s affordable. It’s one of the most popular standing desk converters out there due to its high-quality build and good value for the price.
FEZIBO standing desk converter is ideal for people looking for desk workstation with the ability to adjust from sitting to standing in a matter of seconds. It’s a solid standing desk converter, considering its size and price. The FEZIBO standing desk converter can raise to a height of 37 inches.
6. Standing Desk Stand Up Desk Height Adjustable Desk Standing Desk Converter Sit Stand Desk Converter Foldable Desk Adjustable Height Desk Folding Workstation Desk Riser Ergonomic Table Stand
- Provides better back health
- Helps improve posture
- Can save time and energy
- Saves the back and reduces neck and wrist tendonitis
- Provides better focus and height adjustment is easy (no lifting, pushing, pulling, etc.)
- Adjustable height levels enable more than one person to use it simultaneously
- Allows one to sit down when needed, or hands-free standing
- Allows typing or keyboarding to be easier
- Comes in a wide variety of sizes and styles
- Cannot be used with a large, heavy monitor or heavy computer towers
- Some find it difficult to adjust to new heights and positions
- Might take some time to get adjusted to
- The weight capacity is one hundred pounds in some models and fifty pounds in others
For those looking for the best standing desk converter, this one is our top choice. It comes with a customized, patented spring mechanism that makes it easy to adjust from sitting to standing height and back to sitting. The height range is five feet, eight inches to six feet, three inches. Once you get used to it, using it becomes second nature.
7. Rocelco 37.5" Deluxe Height Adjustable Standing Desk Converter
- Plenty of ergonomic adjustment options
- Fairly easy to assemble
- It’s made of high-quality materials
- Raises to almost standing height
- You get a decent amount of space
- Very sturdy
- Some have gotten damaged in the packaging
- The assembly instructions aren’t that great
If you’re looking for an affordable standing desk converter, look no farther than the Rocelco Deluxe. It provides plenty of adjustment with its accompanying gas spring and features a downward push switch for a comfortable sit or standing position. It’s also very flexible with the options to add a monitor arm, keyboard tray, keyboard, computer unit, storage box, and more.
The Rocelco Deluxe is super adjustable, with an overall height that goes up to 47.25 inches. Its desk surface is about 47.25” x 31”, while its keyboard tray surface is about 15.5” x 11.5”. It comes in a simple black finish with metal knobs and a powerful gas spring for a smooth sit-to-stand transition.
8. DeskDoc Premium Standing Desk Converter
- Strong and sturdy design
- Very easy to adjust height
- Can hold up to 300 pounds of weight
- Can be used with a standard desk or table
- Affordable and easily accessible
- Free resources and guides alongside for a healthy standing desk lifestyle
- No options for left or right-handedness
- Some negative reviews regarding the stability of the product
Our pick for the top standing desk converter is this product by DeskDoc.
The DeskDoc standing desk converter allows you to adjust the height of the product without the need for any tools and in literally just seconds. The DeskDoc has a strong and sturdy design, so it can hold more than 300 pounds of weight.
For adjustment purposes, there’s a lever that you can use to either raise or lower the product’s surface. It’s quite an easy-to-use lever system, and the DeskDoc does not require any assembly whatsoever.
9. Executive Office Solutions Portable Adjustable Aluminum Laptop Desk/Stand/Table Vented w/CPU Fans Mouse Pad Side Mount-Notebook-MacBook-Light Weight Ergonomic TV Bed Lap Tray Stand Up/Sitting-Black
- Made from aluminum (sturdy)
- Includes CPU fans
- Briefcase style for easy mobility
- Works with multiple sizes
- Poor quality
- Hard to move
- Flimsy construction
If you’re a laptop junkie, the Executive Office Solutions Adjustable Aluminum Laptop Desk is the best standing desk converter for you … at least according to its manufacturers. This desk/stand converts your laptop into a perfect desktop replacement. It provides you with a conveniently located mouse pad, separate cooling fans, and a comfortable sitting and working platform. The desk comes with a 12-month warranty.
Unfortunately, this product is a prime example of shoddy workmanship. It’s made in China according to the instructions, but the only other information found online was a poorly executed FAQ posted by a marketing company in Bulgaria. The FAQ stated that the product is made in China using American parts and materials. Our research, however, couldn’t corroborate these claims.
10. Height Adjustable Standing Desk Converter
- Very easy to adjust
- Elegant design
- Stable stand
- Can handle heavier monitors
- Gas spring gives smooth operation
- Not the most stable desktop option
- Can’t really fold it
With CPU Holder, Tablet Stand.
Choosing a standing desk converter is difficult because it’s hard to tell if this switch is right for you. Luckily, Neiko has helped us out with an office standing desk converter that comes with some unique features.
This standing desk converter is made from a high-quality steel, and has a powder-coated paint finish to make it last a long time. There are some plastic pieces but they’re BPA and phthalate-free, so they won’t leach into your food or beverages.
11. EleTab Standing Desk Converter Sit Stand Desk Riser Stand up Desk Tabletop Workstation fits Dual Monitor 32 inches Black
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Which standing desk is best?
Which standing desk is best is a highly subjective matter, dependent upon which styles fit a particular workstation and how easy it is to set up or install the desk.
While one person might prefer a one-legged stand that doesn’t require drilling or wires, another person might prefer a two-legged stand with an adjustable height and a motorized control.
One person might like the idea of being able to adjust and to an incredibly comfortable ergonomically-correct height while another person likes the idea of a desk that they can roll up and bring to a conference meeting.
What we can offer in this section are the best standing desks based on our testing and research. And, perhaps more importantly, we can offer an overview on how to choose one of these desks.
How do I convert my desk to standing?
Getting a standing desk converter is a smart way to ease into a standing desk. This will allow you to gradually adjust your body to this working style over time. It is also easier to adjust the height of a standing desk converter. If you have a standing desk converter, you can easily raise it a little or a lot depending on your preference.
Here are 10 of our favorite picks for standing desk converters. These all bridge the gap between sitting and standing.
Are standing desks actually good for you?
Standing desks have many of the same health benefits as fitness trackers, without the stigma of sitting at work. There are many movements embedded in our daily lives and having the option to stand is a great way to mix up our environment, improve our health, and reduce our risk of heart disease.
Practically, though, does it make any difference if you're standing? For athletic activities like weight training or dance, experts have found that standing for even short amounts of time can improve your reaction, blood flow, stamina, and power.
How long should you stand at a standing desk per day?
At a minimum, I recommend setting a timer every hour to remind you to take a brief walking break. This is a good strategy to keep you active and focused without having to constantly check the time on your watch.
Finally, stand and sit as much as you can; even if that means standing at your laptop for 10-15 minutes at a time. For those with office jobs, take a break whenever you have the chance to. Breaking up prolonged sitting time will help keep blood flowing and reduce your risk of blood clots, which can lead to stroke.
The demand for adjustable standing desks has increased dramatically over the past five years. Because they are not permanently attached to one desk, some users have discovered that they can use a standing desk converter as an ergonomic solution to work issues like back pain, wrist pain, neck pain, and other repetitive strain injuries.