When it comes to design, inspiration is everything. An architect has many tools for accessing inspiration.
But nothing beats a handful of good pencils.
While digital design tools are becoming increasingly important in the day-to-day of an architect, the pencil is still very much at the core of the profession.
Great architects can come up with incredible design ideas in a few minutes, sketch them on the back of a napkin, and then turn them into reality.
Here are the top 50 pencils you’ll want to make sure you have on hand as an architect:
|Moleskine Classic Notebook||Best Overall|
|Five Star Loose Leaf Paper||Budget Pick|
|New Apple iPad Pro||Upgrade Pick|
1. Moleskine Classic Notebook
- Perfect size
- Back pocket that’s useful for travel
- Hard cover protects pages better
- Can be found in a wide variety of colors
- Pages of different color coded for easy customization
- High amount of blank pages
- Back cover can be difficult to remove
If your idea of the perfect well-balanced notebook is one that’s not so large that it’s cumbersome but not so small that it’s inadequate, then you have to look no further than the Moleskine Classic notebook.
The notebook comes with a very simple cover or color and the front pocket has a great use for working professionals – to hold tight your pen. The book has a wider, heavier letter-sized format that can take a heavy pen without any damage. The paper is off-white and has a faint texture.
It comes in a variety of sizes and a number of edgy colors. These are great for the artists, designers, and architects, and thanks to the brand’s style, these notebooks are great for the bright planners as well.
2. Alvin, Black Series
- Smooth to use
- Waterproof for drawing outdoors
- Large markings
- Unbeatable price for quality
- Very light and compact
- Backed by a lifetime warranty
- Size/weight could be a disadvantage if you want a standard size
- Casing could break in the event of a fall
(305mm) Verified Purchase
Our top pick is the Alvin, Black Series, Aluminum Engineer, Hollow Triangular Scale, with a length of 13 inches (33cm). This is an engineers’ triangular scale made from hard-anodized aluminum for a high-quality finish. It’s extremely lightweight at only 0.9oz and is fairly compact. It has two vernier scales outside the main scale – which is a great feature for architecture.
The ruler itself has graduated markings in 1/16th inches and millimeter readings. The downside is that the lines are reversed (they’re etched upside down), so you’ll need to use some creativity when you want to use it as a straight edge.
3. Calculated Industries 4065 Construction Master Pro Advanced Construction Math Feet-inch-Fraction Calculator
- Large and easy-to-read display
- Backlit display for low-light conditions
- Simple operation, no confusing modes or frustrating menus
- Durable, reliable, and compact design
- Sturdy construction and simple push button design
- Heavy-duty design for tough environments
- Speed and amp calculations for electricians
- Comes with two AAA batteries
4. New Apple iPad Pro
- Fast performance
- Powerful apps
- Long battery life
- Stunning screen graphics
- Microsoft Office apps
- Access to endless apps
- SD card slot
- Thin and light
- Great for on-the-go work
- Uncomfortable keyboard
- Expensive accessories
- Competition from the Surface Pro
- Keyboard and pen sold separately
The Apple iPad Pro (12.9) is the 10th generation of the iPad and it’s a substantial improvement over previous iPads. It comes in two versions – Wi-Fi and free Wi-Fi and data (LTE in U.S., Wi-Fi+LTE in China). The tablet can be purchased with 32 or 128 GB storage. The Intel M3, M4, and M5 processors deliver fast processor performance. The massive screen displays stunning graphics and movies are awesome to watch.
The Apple iPad Pro is loaded with powerful apps for productivity, pleasure, and education with features like pro-level drawing with Apple Pencil, advanced photo editing, and detailed spreadsheet analysis. It’s a great tablet for on-the-go work and play. There are apps for students, teachers, and instructors and apps for sound mixing, music and audio production.
5. Cutting Mat
- Available in three colors
- Perfect size for different purposes
- Highly durable
- 2 years warranty
- Can be difficult to clean
- The lines can wash away
Also Work as Drawing Graph Paper, 3 x 6 Grid.
Finding the right cutting mat comes down to two details – size and durability. This particular model fits the bill perfectly as it is large enough for most projects, and it is thick and sturdy enough to use for a long time without getting damaged. In addition, thanks to the self-healing finish, you can easily cut on the mat without damaging it.
When it comes to size, this particular model is 18” x 24”, which is an optimal size for most projects (quilting and sewing). The size is also large enough to ensure your knife blade, scissors, fabric cuts, and patterns remain visible. There are three colors available – orange, blue, and green. Out of these three, the orange might be the best choice as it stands out and doesn’t get lost in the clutter.
6. Alvin, Lightweight White Tracing Paper Rolls
- 18 inches x 20 yards
- Item shipped from and sold by Amazon
- 1 inch grid ruling
- Speckled roll for a better grip
(For a brief guide how to select the best tracing paper, You can read more here)
Tracing paper is a very common essential supply used in architecture. It is a specialized paper used for a variety of drafting needs. Architects commonly use the smooth, thin tracing paper for an overall view of plans. Architects use light tracing paper to view the big picture of a design. While seeing a representation of how they’ll appear in a final product is important, the actual drafting is usually done on location or on a different paper type. Architects use different paper weights throughout their process. A range from 25 to 100 pounds is common in the process of design.
Tracing paper is an important item to have on hand for any architect to have the ability to make paper a reusable material. There is also a wide range of different sizes, colors, and weights available for architects to choose from. Alvin offers a good piece of tracing paper for architects. It has the right weight to make it easy to move over the paper you want to trace on. It is smooth so it should move easily over your project.
7. Staedtler Pigment Liner Bonus Sketch Set of 6 Liners
- Colored leads
- Specially designed for sketching
- Unique and ergonomic barrel that prevents slippage
- Thick leads for rich color
- Bonus set of six colors for same price as four
- Great guide for sketching and drawing
- Variety of lead sizes
- Easily available on Amazon
- Made in Germany
- Self-sharpening, long lasting
- Color fading when exposed to sunlight over long periods of time
- Barrels might crack over time
Architects need quality supplies available to them on the go as well to ensure they are never short of what they need when inspiration strikes. These colored lead pencils from Staedtler are unrivaled in quality, performance and value.
A unique barrel design ensures you will have a design tool that doesn’t slip and prevents hand cramps that many other model liners have. Colored leads ensure you can express your creative side effectively and professionally.
8. 3M Super 77 Multipurpose Spray Adhesive
- Works with multiple materials, which makes it very versatile
- Very cheap considering its efficacy
- Easy to use — simply apply spray on material and apply other material to bond
- Fast drying formula allows for efficient use
- Dries clear
- Non-toxic solution
- Very little odor
- The lifespan of the product is quite short
- User has to be careful with overuse, as it can bubble
9. Leica DISTO D2 New 330ft Laser Distance Measure
- Simple to set up and use
- Properly measures a variety of distances
- Long lasting
- Easy to store
- Includes a convenient carrying case
- Instructions are not clear
- Transmits on a single frequency
We wanted to list the best architect supplies, but we also wanted it to be architect supplies that would make a significant difference in your career. So what we did is take a look at the tradeshow shelves and ask people what they needed and then took a look at the tradeshow stats to see what is making money. One of the items that we found that people want, but they can’t find easily is a good angle laser measure.
This product is ideal for drafting and drafting technicians. It can measure everything from heights to lengths. It is very easy to use and it is a rugged unit so you don’t have to worry about it breaking easily. You can drop it and it will be fine as long as you get the +4 to +5k out look while you are dropping it.
It is fast so you don’t have to worry about it taking a long time to take a measurement. It uses Bluetooth 4.0 and the measurements can be transmitted in real time to your mobile device wirelessly.
10. Phive LK-1 Metal Architect Swing Arm LED Desk Lamp/Table Lamp
- Very bright light for a small lamp
- Easy to adjust the brightness and light color temperature
- Long lasting and great value
- Great customer service
As an architect, your workspace is obviously very important. That’s why you should carefully choose the right tools that will help you facilitate your process and even boost it!
The Phive LK-1 is a simple and effective lamp that puts focus on your craft rather than on being a nice decoration around your workspace.
The lamp has a multipurpose clamp which you can use to clamp it virtually anywhere you want around your studio. It’s a high-quality clamp that won’t easily lose its tight grip.
11. Stainless Steel Ruler and Metal Rule Kit
- Versatile ruler
- Stainless steel material
- Great for architects
- Great for other DIYer
- Fair price point
- Highly rated and reviewed
- Turquoise color adds a nice aesthetic touch to the office desk
- Anti-static feature
This stainless steel rule comes in a cute turquoise color that adds a nice touch to the office desk, and for the price it is a good value for the features. It has a 6-inch markings on one side and 12-inch on the other, so it measures in both inches and metric. It also comes with small measurement table made out of non-abrasive material and is placed on the lower portion of the rule.
The markings on the convertor are easily read however, you will need a magnifying glass to read the measurements when it is scaled down to its smallest size. The coating of the rule is anti-static, so it maintains its shine for a long time. It might rust in wet environments so it is ideal for dry storage.
The measurements are reliable and accurate according to the product specifications, and it is equipped also with a base that is 3.15mm or 0.125 inch thick. This rule can be used for most basic calculations to measure your personal things such as desktop, fridge, picture frames, and a lot more.
12. Five Star Loose Leaf Paper
- Good quality paper for t-square construction
- Contains 100 sheets each pack
- The low cost of the paper makes it the most easily accessible option to most designers
- Reinforced holes make the paper much more resistant to ripping or tearing when you’re writing
- The paper is made from a high-quality recycled content material which makes it a great option for sustainable designers
- Color on the top of the paper is dark blue which helps you know where each page belongs
- Works well with pencil, pen, marker, and colored pencil
- Accurate rulings and consistent weight for accuracy
- Products are manufactured in the United States
- No ink transfer from another sheet onto the paper
13. Staedtler Mars 780 Technical Mechanical Pencil
- Works great for both writing and drawing
- Works well with both digital and manual drawing pencils
- Great for architects or pencil artists
- Not good for detail work in smaller areas
- Due to their sharpness, they are not good for more delicate areas
- Not good for long periods of writing
Our pick for the best mechanical pencil for architects is this one from Staedtler. It has been chosen because it works well, is well-made, and comes at a reasonable price.
We recommend this pencil for architects who want a pencil that works well for both writing and sketching. Plus, it’s sturdy enough to not break if you’re carrying it around with you in your briefcase.
It has a built-in lead length indicator, which is a great feature to have for the design field. This means you can select the exact size of lead you want before you have to start drawing.
14. Creative Impressions Metal Edge Acrylic Ruler 12 Inch
- Made of thick, high-quality acrylic
- Clear ruler is ideal for novice users
- Ruled easily visible on paper
- 6 inches has a convenient length
- Measure mark every 1/8 inch
- Great for kids, laying stencils, and small projects
- Extra wide to be more durable
This Creative Impressions Metal Edge Acrylic Ruler is perfect for newbie and professionals alike. It has a 6-inch width, standard-sized markings that are easy to read, and the length is ideal for many projects. This ruler is made out of thick acrylic that’s very durable and can withstand the wear and tear of normal use.
The metal front gives you a strong grasp when using this tool to make the initial mark on your projects. It has standard-width markings for easy visibility and mark a precise 6 inches. It comes with the markings – inches, centimeters, millimeters, and inches and millimeters.
This ruler is ideal for use with most media like pens, pencils, crayons, chalk, and markers. It’s perfect for laying stencils when doing crafts with kids and is very easy to use.
15. X-ACTO Compression Basic Knife Set
- Well-made and sturdy
- Smooth and precise blade action
- Sharp blades and comfortable grips for control
- Good value for money
Scrapbooking, Candlemaking, Cardmaking, Vegetable and Fruit Carving, and More, 6-Piece Set.
Our top pick for essentials for architects is this X-ACTO Compression Basic Knife Set, Great for Arts and Crafts, including Pumpkin Carving, Scrapbooking, Crafts, Candlemaking, Cardmaking, Fruit and Vegetable Carving, and More, 6-Piece Set from X-ACTO.
This set includes six different knives to help you with all kinds of artistic tasks. Your best friend during design can make or break your project. This X-ACTO Compression Basic Knife Set contains 6 blades that include a number of different shapes and sizes. This inclusion allows you to select the correct knife for the job allowing you to be precise and accurate during your projects.
16. Loctite Ultra Gel Control Super Glue
- A gel-superglue
- Easy to apply in any location
- Can be used on ceramic, metal, wood, leather, and glass
- Works underwater!
- Has a low tack for more control
- Super strong and instant stick for all-purpose DIY jobs
- Harder to clean than other super glues
- Can be hard to open
- Doesn’t smell great
We all love super glue, and if you’ve done any DIY at home you have probably already used it for several jobs. Super glue is one of the most versatile materials out there and it is hard to imagine that someone hasn’t used it. This super glue will bond instantly stronger than wood, metal, rubber, ceramic, glass, and most plastics.
This superglue has a unique design, which includes a precision applicator tip for precision application in hard to reach areas. This superglue can be used on a variety of materials in your house such as plastic, ceramics, wood, metal, and leather … anything that isn’t sensitive to water.
17. NoCry Cut Resistant Gloves
- REDUCES THE URGENCY FOR REPLACEMENTS: The NoCry Cut Resistant Gloves are the ideal complement to your tool kit, and the best friend you could have for those times when you have to use tools to help you get things done around the house. Unlike ordinary gloves that cut and rip at the first sign of trouble, these ones have been designed to increase the longevity of your favorite gloves – and your favorite gloves get to live a little longer.
- PROTECTS AGAINST DANGEROUS CUTS: NoCry Cut Resistant Gloves are built to protect your hands in countless ways. You can use them to protect your hands from sharp blades, glass, and nails, all of which are capable of inflicting potentially lethal cuts or abrasions. This means you can use them when you're doing just about anything around the home, including gardening, repairing a car, or whatever else it is you do when your creativity bursts.
- COMFORTABLE TO WEAR: The number one reason that people don't use protective clothing and gear when working around so-called dangerous objects is because the safety gear gets in the way at the wrong moment. NoCry Cut Resistant Gloves used a unique design approach to build a cut-resistant glove that protects your hands without becoming an inconvenience.
Best Friend for Those who Love to Cook or Work with Tools.
18. Nozlen Document Poster Tube
- Document poster tube
- Available in multiple sizes
- Built-in stretchy cord for convenience
- Holds documents in place with a clear cap
- Water and light resistant tube
- Durable and high-quality
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Telescoping for easy removal
- Includes cap card for labeling
This is a great product for architects and graphic designers. It is especially handy for those who work in an office away from their desks and carry their documents and projects around with them. It’s also a great tool for anyone who works on contract, and often has to update and create new documents on the go. Consider it an essential tool for any job at all.
19. ME456 A4 LED Light Box 9×12 Inch Light Pad Only 5mm Ultra-Thin USB Power Light Table
- Long-lasting LED lights
- Good quality construction
- Rechargable lithium battery
- Works as a good stand-alone desk lamp
- Multiple color options
- Fast and reliable shipping
- Can be a bit expensive
- Ads a little bit of glare on the surface of the table
We gathered the top 50 most essential architect supplies for creating a list of only the best of the best. We choose the ME456 as one of the top-rated light boxes on the market because it offers low-glare lighting, ease of use, and a compact, foldable design.
It comes with two A4 size manuscript pages. The surface allows you to trace or copy your lines accurately. The 9 x 12 inch size is ideal for working with regular sheets of paper.
This light box is pretty ideal for do-it-yourself types because it allows you to work anywhere and features a rechargeable lithium battery that can be charged using a USB cable.
20. Zona 37-434 L-Square
- Used for drawing right angles with precision
- Good quality
- Comes with a cover to prevent damage
- Has a lifetime warranty
- Hard to see measurements with the cover on
- Long shipping times
This L-square is the right choice for professionals and amateurs alike. It is used in creating complicated designs when you want to lay things out exactly. As an added benefit, it can be used in creating perfect right angles. There’s also the fact that it is made from stainless steel, which will give you a lot of value for your money.
This measuring device is a must-have for all architects, designers, engineers, and carpenters. Since it’s such a great tool, you really want to make sure that you maintain it and keep it in the best shape possible. To do this, you’ll need to remove the cover so you can measure the opposite side and ensure accuracy.
The Zona L-square is very accurate, and it will give you the right measurement you need. It is also a great alternative for expensive ones. For this price, you get a high-quality measuring device that will serve you well for years.
21. Staedtler 502 BK A6 Mars Rotary Action Lead Pointer and Tub
- Easy and smooth operation
- Comfortable grip
- Good value for the price
- Half-length tub makes storage convenient
- Perfect for fine drawing work
- Ergonomic design with built-in controls
- Solid lead compartment prevents lead from breaking
- Half-length tub makes storage convenient
- Good value for the price
- Comfortable grip
- Hard to find replacement leads if you run out
- Narrow tub can cause jams
- Quite difficult to change colors
There are so many beautiful cities around the world; many people dream of visiting them or even living in one! If you’re an architect, your dream just might become a reality. Architecture is the process of designing buildings. As an architect, your main goal is to create structures that will meet your clients’ needs and make them feel welcomed. In this book, we’re going to take a look at the top 50 essential architect supplies that you need as an architect. Let’s dive right in!
22. Ohuhu Electric Eraser Kit
- Perfect for carrying around
- Erases well
- Long battery life
- Decent build quality
- Eraser refills included
- Bulky and not very portable
- Not powerful enough for tougher marks
- Handle and trigger become loose over time
- Refill erasers don’t pop in solidly
For Artist, Artist's Box, Best Pencile Erasers for Artist, School, Students, Decorations and More.
Most architects are on the lookout for the best pencil eraser for architects and this Ohuhu electric eraser is definitely one of the best based on customer reviews and consumer reports. While there are many eraser options out there, we believe this is one of the best choices if you are looking for one that is more convenient and easier to use at the same time.
This eraser has a unique design that allows you to only hold, and operate it with a few of your fingers. With the Ohuhu eraser, you won’t need to rotate your wrist at all as it’s super lightweight and the way the eraser is designed makes it incredibly easy to use.
23. Alvin, French Curve Ruler
- Durable and accurate
- Made of wood and metal
- Comes in different sizes
- Very helpful when it comes to drawing curved lines
- Fairly priced
- Alvin French Curve Ruler is not Hexagon shaped
- Ridges on the ruler can damage paper
Blade Thickness: 0.25
Using French curve ruler is one of the best ways to add some class and style to your work. In fact, architects and designers use French curve rulers to draw curved lines. Likewise, this tool has been available in different shapes such as transferring French curve, half circle and intricate curve.
The Alvin French Curve Ruler is made of metal and wood, which means that it’s durable and long-lasting. It’s perfect for applications like kitchen cabinets, furniture, and office buildings.
24. Westcott LetterCraft Large and Small Circles Template
- Can be used to make templates
- Easily and accurately cuts 12 inches
- Reusable template
- Comes with an additional stencil
- Ideal for circles in various sizes
- Reusable design
- Durable and long-lasting
- Value for money
- Includes: 10 blades
- Can be used for stencil and template work
We recommend the Westcott LetterCraft Large and Small Circles Template for its high-quality craftsmanship and versatile design. This stencil cutter can be used to cut circle shapes of different sizes. Its small size also makes it portable so you can carry it around when you need it the most.
The small design of the cutter makes it perfect for stencil and template work. This versatile cutter has a smooth cutting edge that allows you to create clean, crisp edges. It also comes with a stencil which can be used for making unique designs. The durable and long-lasting design of this cutter also makes it ideal for professionals.
25. Securcut 48.5 Inch Safety Ruler
- Accurate cut every time
- Tool-free change of blade
- Lightweight and easy to use
- 3-feet long to cut large sheets of materials
- Space saving design
- Saves both time and money
- An outstanding value for money
- Slightly difficult to replace blade
- Dials are probably intended for left-handed use
Are you looking for a tool that can help you with calculating measurements and cutting material? If so, consider the SecurCut 48.5 inch safety ruler. It is a lightweight and space-saving option that can function as a straight edge, a protractor, a calculator, or a blade selector.
The SecurCut can be used for performing any type of angle measurement with its 360 degrees protractor. And with a simple turn of the dial you will automatically have both the inches and millimeters displayed on the LCD. No more time wasted when trying to convert measurements.
As far as cutting material is concerned, Seccut has a special design that allows you to easily cut through large sheets with just one pass. Many customers have mentioned that this has saved them a lot of time and money when it comes to managing big projects.
26. Westcott. 12"/30cm Junior T-Square
- Can be used for various purposes
- Convenient carrying case
- Easy to maneuver
- Comes with a lifetime guarantee
- The blade is not hardened
- Might not stand up to heavy-duty use
- The clamp isn’t particularly sturdy
- Carrying case could be sturdier
We all know that to be a good architect, you have to have the right tools. However, many are unaware of what exactly these tools are, and what they do. To help clear up some of that confusion, here’s our top pick of the most essential architect supplies.
Despite the fact that it’s pretty low on our list, the Junior T-square from Westcott is still an invaluable tool in any professional architect’s toolbox. This is an ideal tool for measuring and marking on paper. It’s especially useful when you’re doing technical drawing.
27. Swingline Paper Trimmer
- Great value
- Powerful induction motor
- Easy to read takeup lever
- Should last for several years
- Easy to use and set up
- Extremely highly rated by customers
- Doesn’t take up too much space
- Versatile enough for any office
- Has an exposed blade
- Fairly loud
- Trimmer doesn’t cut to the end of the sheets
Swingline has been a popular name in the paper-cutting industry for the past few decades. It’s been a consistent innovator in the field, and the ClassicCut Lite is the excellent all-in-one paper guillotine trimmer that refuses to compromise on quality.
The ClassicCut is a universal paper cutter with a 10-inch blade and a 12-inch throat depth. This makes it perfect for cutting different types of paper and even for cutting down maps of any size and width. The ClassicCut is effective at cutting paper, plastic, and even aluminum.
28. Sargent Art Plastilina Modeling Clay
- Can be used by children
- Smooth texture
- Unlike other modelling clay, it doesn’t get gummy
- Does not stay air or water proof over time
- Can stain your hands while you work with it
Sargent Art Plastilina Modeling Clay is a soft, bright white, modelling clay that is good for all kinds of projects. You can use it to make figurines, bead, and abstract sculptures. It is also great for kids as it is safe, non-toxic, easy to clean, and soft to the touch. You can also make jewellery, accessories, and home decor items with it. It comes in a 2 pound bar, which makes it ideal for classroom projects and parties at home.
Do keep in mind that this particular brand of clay may have varying packaging and label designs depending on where and when you buy it. However, don’t let that put you off because it is still the same quality of modelling clay.
- Does not stay air or water proof over time
- Can stain your hands while you work with it
29. Dahle 796 Trimmer Stand w/Paper Catch
- Features an ingenious paper catcher
- Enables you to tailor the height according to your preferences
- Easy to set up
- Stable and durable
- Takes up a lot of space
- Fairly narrow shelf on top
- The height can be too low for taller users
5 – 48.5"
The Dahle 796 Trimmer Stand has been making waves across social media and review sites for its incredible usefulness and versatility. The stand is popular with both professionals and amateurs alike.
The Dahle 796 is German-engineered and has been around for more than 30 years. It is a long-lasting tool that will not disappoint. At such a reasonable price, it is an excellent investment for any professional or aspiring designer out there.
30. FlashForge Finder 3D Printers
- Up to 100mm x 100mm printing size
- Up to 400 x 400 x 450 mm build volume
- Automatically generates supports for overhanging parts
- Cloud connectivity for easy printing
- Gigabit and Wi-Fi connectivity options
- Easy to use software
- No PLA extruder yet
- Open source software
- Some assembly required
Despite its fairly high price, there’s no questioning the quality of this 3D printer. Not only is it one of the largest capacity printers on the list, but it also works with a large variety of filament types. In addition, you can also use practically any file type – tiff, jpc, eps, png, bmp, gif, etc. The cloud connectivity makes it easy to work on projects without having to worry if you have the right file on your computer. It also doesn’t need to be connected to your computer to work correctly.
However, there’s one downside that we need to mention. You will need to assemble it yourself – which shouldn’t be a major issue for the most experienced users.
31. DARICE LEVADO 1095-34 608766668047 Retractable Razor Knife Set
- Best value for money
- Sharp blades
- Comes in a pair
- Unique design
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Ideal for home use
Our pick for the best precision art sharpener goes to the DARICE LEVADO retractable razor knife set. The set consists of two (2) retractable razor blades with unique natural beechwood shells. Unfortunately, this design feature gets easily worn-out over time, resulting in the wood shell peeling off. However, this shouldn’t pose as a major issue as this is not designed for professional sharpening.
The set has ergonomically designed handles. You also have the option to choose between three color combinations – natural beechwood, red & black, or black & silver. This is a retractable set, so you need to manually feed the razor blade out of the handle, which can be a bit tricky. If you don’t have much experience with this type of tool, it may take some time to get used to.
32. BYB E476 Metal Architect LED Desk Lamp
- Ideal for designers, artists, computer desks, or work tables
- Adjustable head to illuminate any working surface
- Clamp can be adjusted to hold it firmly in place
- Perfect for those who suffer from light sensitivity or eye fatigue
- 4 color modes: Daylight, Natural, Cold, and Warm (for color sensitive work)
- 6 brightness levels/ 10 levels of fading available
- Environmental-friendly bulbs
- Touch-sensitive adjustment
- Memory function
- Suitable for all ages
In the old days, drafting table lamps were used to illuminate the entire table, but now, they are more often used to light a specific area on the table such as the drawing area. With a swing arm, the light is directed to an area of your choice. This is highly useful since you can work comfortably without straining your eyesight or getting eye fatigue or headaches.
33. Bose QuietComfort 20 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones
- Long-lasting battery
- Amazing sound quality
- Comfortable to wear
- Lightweight and convenient
- Great for travel and commuters
- Simple plug and play design
- Great noise canceling features
- No controls on the actual earbuds to stop you from the subconscious fiddling
- Very sporty and stylish in design
- Takes about 3 hours to fully charge from dead as the battery is only about 15 hours
- Some people had issues with the headphones not charging or the battery dying out within a short period of time
If you are looking for noise-cancelling headphones that are comfortable, great for travel, and won’t take up a lot of space in your bag, this is a wonderful pair of headphones to consider getting.
These headphones are very light-weight, and they should fit well and sound great even for those with big heads or larger ears. The Bose QuietComfort 20 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones are made mostly of plastic, which makes them feel very sturdy and durable despite the low weight.
34. Alumicolor 3000 Series 12-Inch Silver Hollow Aluminum Triangular Engineer Scale
- Highly accurate
- Ideal for double degree framing
- Comes lightly coated in a protective layer
- Ideal for magnetic (as well as non-magnetic) levels
- Screw-ended piece for precision leveling
- Perfectly fits a standard 3-ring binder
- Highly affordable
- 6-foot ruler
- Only 12 inches
- Roughly 1g is displaced
- Not as accurate as a contractor scale
The Alumicolor 3000 series is a perfect tri-level that helps with machine alignment for carpentry and leg leveling. The tool is made of a lightweight material that is resistant to rust. It weighs around 1 pound and is made of anodized aluminum. The ruler is equivalent to a 12-inch ruler and is therefore accurate enough to carry out a lot of different tasks.
It is suitable for both professional and DIY use. The ruler is not as accurate as a contractor’s scale, but it is, however, more than accurate enough for a variety of tasks. It weighs around 1lb which makes it an excellent choice for anyone that is looking for a lightweight construction scale that is also compact.
35. Alvin, 3298
- Can be used for aligning layouts with objects
- Molded and machined tip comes to a sharp point
- A .005" thickness for a sharp tip
- Comes with a plastic storage tube.
- Not very durable and may break easily if bent more than once.
The Alvin, 3298, Stainless Steel Erasing Shield, .005" Flexible Stainless Steel is one of the best tools to have in the pencil grip architectural scale kit. This is the standard for all major contractors, thanks to its ability to not get damaged and allows you to get your measurements accurately.
The size allows for convenient storage and transport. Another great feature is that a sharp pointed tip that makes the gauge easy to use with accuracy. You can be sure that you will be able to get the measurement right without having to spend time trying to re-align the tool.
The stainless steel material of this gauge resists corrosion, giving it a long shelf-life and will be able to provide you with the same functions it did when you first bought it.
36. PRO ART Drafting Pad
- Protected surface prevents rub off
- Wide range of uses
- Erases cleanly
- Cleans with soap and water
- Excessive curling
- No size for A2 drawings
- Only available in blue
This drafting pad is by far our favorite on the list of the top 50 most essential architect supplies. This is because it has so many uses. While it is a run-of-the-mill paper pad for artists, designers, and architects, it is sometimes also used by antiquarians in their studies and labs.
At 11×8.5 inches, this blue pad offers you wide-ranging flexibility. You can use it for all kinds of purposes, including tech or handwriting. It’s perfect for a variety of work, from pencil to colored pastels. Plus, it has a plastic cover all over it that protects your drawings and ideas.
Other than that, the papers are entirely erasable. The best part is that you can clean up the drawings with water and soap. No one likes the tacky residue left behind by erasers on regular paper.
37. Modway Veer Drafting Chair
- Wide variety of colors available
- Foldable arm
- Comfortable back and seat pad
- Great value for the money
- Strong steel frame
- High-quality padding
- 360-degree swivel
- Non-slip feet
- Easy to assemble
- Good customer service
- Could be improved with some adjustable lumbar support
- Arms feel flimsy
- Thicker than average cushioning on the seat
With over 300 different kinds of chairs to choose from, we recommend the Modway Vear Drafting Chair for its affordability, quality, and style. It has loads of color options, adjustable back and headrest functions, and a padded seat that can be flipped up to become a stool for when your workload gets heavier. Plus, it comes at a great value and is quite easy to install, even for rookies.
What’s pretty surprising is that this Modway chair comes in at a lower price than most of the chairman and executive sets, and it performs really well even with its limited features. The mesh back is also a great feature to have, because it keeps your back cool and ventilated.
38. BQLZR White Unpainted Architectural 1:100 Scale Model Figures Pack of 100
- Quality build and performance
- Wide range of uses
- Easily cleaned and painted with acrylic paints
- Perfect for interior or exterior design and decoration
- No installation hardware included
- Might need retouching depending on the type of paint used
The BQLZR figures are the best 100 architectural model figures on the market right now. The set comes in unassembled and unpainted plastic polycarbonate models. It also consists of mounting accessories like screws, clips, and wires.
The great thing about these miniature scale figures is that they are suitable for both interior and exterior design and decoration. You can paint the models, assemble them, and then display them as decorations inside your home or office. They’re also a great model for architects to use to display their designs.
You can even use these figures to purchase and store small parts. They can also be used for ornaments like accessories for models and dollhouses. They’re also just the perfect size for kids to use in their plays.
39. GOCHANGE 3 in 1 Foam Cutter Electric Cutting Machine Pen Tools Kit
- Works amazingly well
- Lightweight and portable
- Durable and well-made
- Takes very little time to cut any foam
- Not ideal for cutting thick foam
- The blade is made of low-quality metal, which will wear out quickly
- Very slow and takes a lot of practice to master
The GoChange 3 in 1 Foam Cutter is an inexpensive, reliable and efficient solution for all your cutting foam needs. It is an electronic electric foam cutter machine created specifically for DIY professionals, designers, crafters, and architects. The tool has a voltage transformer by default which means that it can be used all around the world. If you frequently travel, this will be an ideal choice for you. However, for account of the multiple voltage tools, the handle is made of plastic. Because of this, it is not suitable for heavy duty tasks and will break or crack if over used. It is ideal for light to medium-duty tasks.
When using this cutter, multiple materials can be cut with great ease. This includes Styrofoam, rubber, plastic and much more. The tool can also be used to cut paper rolls. It can be used around the home to achieve fantastic artistic effects. Because of the simple operation of the tool, it is great for kids. Work can be easily done on all three sides of the sheet by simply sliding the tool.
40. Alvin, Trig Scale Adjustable Triangle
- Adjustable from 0-45 degrees
- Points are blunted for extra protection from accidental injuries
- Bold black for better visibility
- Non-rusting and non-rustable
- Does not have numbers for easy measuring
- No place to put it when not in use
Although it is black, this triangle from Alvin stands out against the stark white backdrop of the measuring canvas when it has been used for drafting. It’s something you may just take for granted, but this is what makes a draft or sketching triangle one of the most essential architecture supplies. Because this one changes from 0-45 degrees, it is a useful tool for making right angles, curves, and calculating lengths.
41. Westcott Professional Dusting Brush
- Very soft
- Creates less mess
- Ideal for dusting wood, glass, flat steel, and other non-porous surfaces
- Comes in different sizes
- Leak proof
- Sturdy handle
- Not suitable for cleaning glass or any surface that has texture
- Not suitable for washing (because it doesn't hold water)
- Seems stiff upon first use
- Could be easier to clean
Preserve all the ornate craftsmanship that has been put into your hardwood floors with the Westcott dusting brush. This brush makes dusting a breeze without much mess to clean up afterwards. It also allows you to clean hard to reach places without having to crawl around the floor on your hands and knees.
The brush has about a 2.5” long bristles and at 14” inches long, it provides a comfortable and firm handle while cleaning. It also has a natural wooden handle to boost its durability and to make sure it lasts for a long time. This inexpensive option is a great, no-frills, everyday dusting brush that will withstand daily abuse.
42. Alvin, Portable Drafting Boards
- Lightweight and compact
- Four different color options
- Trusted brand
- Great for any level of architecture
- Paper clips included to secure drawings
- Good storage bag for transportation
- Ability to work on multiple projects at the same time
- Ease of use
- Paper rolls are too big
- Hard to insert paper rolls
- Sometimes tabs break and pull off paper
- Paper tabs fall off
- Too small
Set of 2.
These drafting boards from Alvin are great for any architecture student or professional. We selected them as one of the best working drawing boards because they’re lightweight, portable, high-quality, and budget friendly.
These drafting boards can accommodate multiple projects at the same time … making architectural projects go faster and smoother. You can place the board on a table or hang them on a wall when you’re done. They’re thin and lightweight, which makes them easy to transport or store.
43. Tape Measure
- Teflon coating on the hook prolongs the lifespan of the tape
- Removable hook for easy storage
- The blade locks into position after 25 feet
- Has a spring lock for easy retracting
- Has readable and durable marking tape
- Lightweight and compact
- Great overall value
- Perfect for a variety of applications
- The locking mechanism is very secure
- Top-notch customer service
This tape measure gets a 4.3 out of 5 rating from 44 Amazon customer reviews. It’s a fantastic value with excellent ratings from customers, and it’s the perfect measuring tool for all your architecture projects.
This tape measure has a comfortable and ergonomic grip, as well as a built-in hook that remains secure after retracting. Plus, the magnetic end is not only super handy, but is actually much more resistant than the alternatives. The grip comes in black, red, and silver, with red being the most durable option.
44. Architectural Graphic Standards
- Comprehensive and useful reference for most architecture projects
- Saves time when conducting feasibility studies
- Full of information which is useful for both new and experienced architects
- Hard cover for durability and easy use
- Highly detailed information in most areas.
- Heavy in weight and not easy to carry around
- Few charts and diagrams missing
- Information is updated irregularly by the publisher
If you’re involved in any way with the design of commercial, industrial, and residential buildings, you need to own this book. It contains information that’s very useful to architects, engineers, contractors, interior designers, and even everyday folks who just want to get a better understanding of the design and building process.
The books is also available on PDF if you’re looking for something more portable.
45. Excel Blades Small Mitre Box Kit
- This is a great kit that comes with everything you need including a razor saw blade
- The small saw blade is a great choice for contractors and DIY folks
- The Mitre Box also has a warranty
- The set does not include a straight edge
- Some parts of the Mitre Box have dents in them
- Not hard enough for professional use
- Tradesperson Tools
- DIY Work
This is definitely one of the top-rated sets and it is very helpful and a handy basic kit for the DIYer and for professionals. What’s great is that this set will help save you a great deal of money and it will help you get your work done faster and more efficiently. This will give you the opportunity to master some of your carpentry skills and others skills to help save you time and money.
46. Midwest Products Hobby & Craft Easy Cutter
- Simple, easy to use
- Accommodates multiple types of materials
- Excellent value for money
- Design limits materials
- Difficult to handle
- No blade storage
Most architects are familiar with hobby knives for their simple design and ease of use – it’s one of those items they keep on their desk without a second thought. If you’re looking for one of the best hobby knives for architects, the Midwest Products Hobby & Craft Easy Cutter (1126) is a superb pick.
This hobby knife offers quick and easy blade replacement so you can easily get back to cutting in no time. Thanks to the two-piece aluminum handle, the knife is lightweight and easy to handle with one hand. It only weighs about 10 ounces, and the blade changes in a snap. It also accommodates a wide variety of hobby blades (5/8” to 1 3/4” wide) from different manufacturers, so if you’re looking to invest in more than one kind of blade, you’re covered.
47. Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan
- Allows you to access and edit your photos online
- Perfect all-around plan for photographers
- Create, collaborate and deliver
- This plan is a download, not a physical product
- Not available if you’re not in the US
- There are several programs to choose from and you may find it difficult to choose the right one.
Adobe is one of the leading software providers in the world, creating high quality, professional products for businesses as well as everyday users.
This plan is a download, not a physical product. You get the best of Adobe programs, including:
- Premiere Pro
- After Effects
- Acrobat Pro
48. Orion Motor Tech 40W CO2 Laser Engraving Cutting Machine
- Digital controls
- Removable glass plate
- Adjustable speeds
- Can cut and engrave wood, plastic, non-metal, leather, textile, paper
- 5-year warranty
- Very small bed dimensions
- Not ideal for larger pieces
- Can get warm with extended use
- Power cord is short
The Orion Motor Tech 40W CO2 Laser Engraver is an entry-level DIY laser engraver that can be used to create small pieces of art. It can cut and engrave a wide range of materials including wood, plastic, non-metal, leather, textile, paper, earthenware, glass, jade, stones, ceramics, gilding, acrylic, rubber, leather, synthetic leather, fabric, paper, cork, and bamboo. The device is built with two pieces – a working head and a control tower. Both are well-constructed and feature an elegant black design. Mounted on the head are a CO2 laser and a fan, while the control tower holds the power button, control knobs, etc.
49. Pitsco Hearlihy Collegiate Drawing Set
- Color scheme’s ideal for diverse work environments
- Variety of grip types available
- Available in different sizes
- 10 different drawing tools included in the set
- Quality-constructed set
As students make the transition from high school to college, they need a set of supplies that’s ideal for this new phase of study. By investing in the Hearlihy collegiate set from Pitsco, you get a value pack of drawing tools that’s perfect for a variety of uses.
The set includes 10 pen types and a variety of pencil types and colors to provide you with all the tools you need for sketching, shading, and coloring. The set includes a variety of sketches as well, depending on the type or size of drawing instrument you choose to use. Most of the tools run on mechanical lead or pencil.
What’s easy about this set is that it literally has something for everybody. The set comes in three different sizes – 8, 13, and 18 inches – depending on your comfort level. Plus, the set comes in various grip types too, so you can choose the one that’s best for your personal needs.
50. PRO ART Drafting Dots
- Good value for money
- Ideal for architectural and design work
- Great drawing aid
- Sharp, beautiful, clean lines
- Not too thick; not too thin
- Sharp, consistent, and accurate enough
- 12-point tip
- Good quality
- Writes well; good ink flow
- No bleeding
- Lacks a little length
- Quality could be better
- Ink can dry out after 1-2 months of use
- Drawing dots may start to smear if you drop them
- Pain to sharpen
1/2-Inch (20 Pack).
If you want to produce sharp, beautiful, clean lines for your drawing projects, then you need a worthy drafting pen or pen tip. You can always opt for standard-issue, cheap ballpoint pen and marker tips with which you might get the desired effect with some effort. Or you can opt to go for a better option like the PRO ART Drafting Dots, which is a mid-range pen tip that delivers quality without burning a hole in your wallet.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Where are architects most needed?
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics noted that more than 2,000,000 Americans worked as architects in the United States as of 2014. Most worked in architectural, engineering, and related services firms, and about 3,000,000 worked in building construction.
If you want to learn how to become an architect, the first thing you need to know is where. The BLS reported that the highest concentration of architects was in the New York metropolitan area, followed by California and Pennsylvania.
If you want to become an architect, you should also get an idea where you're most likely to make the most money. The BLS reported that the highest concentrations of architects were in California, Massachusetts, and average median wages exceeded the U.S. average in Massachusetts and Maryland.
What equipment do you need for architecture?
Big question, right? The list below has been curated by a web design firm local to the Maryland area. They have years of experience under their belt and have decided to share their insights with the world. If you are interested in gaining more experience in the world of architecture and design, then this list is for you.
Below you will find a breakdown of 50 essential items that are used in any architecture project. This list is used by a number of local architects to supply their projects with top-quality items that will make sure that the building stays standing and respects the environment around it.
I paired these items with the most popular brands that are used in the industry and am confident that you will not regret making the purchase. If you’re relatively new to this field of work, then I can tell you that these products are well worth the small investment.
What resources do architects use?
Architects rely on vernacular, local, and preexisting resources. Sourcing local materials, like concrete, clay, or stone is important to the green and sustainable minded.
Many of the traditional building materials are still found on construction sites of new buildings, like metal, bricks, glass, and wood. For quick and easy construction, selecting materials with high R factor like foam board can be extremely useful.
In general, the materials used in construction are diverse, and vary based on the architect's design ethos and personal preference. Materials are materials, and selection depends on the client's budget.
Some of the most useful tools for the home architect are the computer and digital projector. Many of the most respected architects even use 2D orthographic views to assist in creating their 3D models.
Who is the world's greatest architect?
According to the "Guinness Book of World Records", the question of the world's greatest architect is difficult to settle. Take for example, Christopher Wren. In 1666 Wren was in charge of rebuilding the 85-foot tall medieval cathedral. It had been damaged in the Great Fire of London. Wren worked 14 hours a day over a period of 15 years creating a masterpiece that stands today.
There are however many other architects that have had and continue to have an equally profound impact on society. They become responsible for shaping and sculpturing some of the most amazing buildings of our time.
The ten most famous modern-day architects in no particular order:
Daniel Libeskind – the Jewish-Czech architect who designed “The Jewish Museum in Berlin".
Mies van der Rohe – one of the greatest architecture masters of modern times.
If you’re looking to find the best architect supplies money can buy from a wide range of options, the best place to start is by learning what each type of supply is so that you will be able to boost your knowledge and make informed decisions. The right tools can really make a difference to how easy or difficult your project turns out in the end. Whether you’re into residential, commercial, or industrial design, you can’t go wrong with the line-up offered here.
|Moleskine Classic Notebook||Best Overall|
|Five Star Loose Leaf Paper||Budget Pick|
|New Apple iPad Pro||Upgrade Pick|